This collection of substance abuse prevention websites provides a wide variety of resources that you can use to document your community’s need for substance abuse prevention, select the best program for your needs and apply for funding.
Develop your logic model with information about Idaho
- Idaho Office Of Drug Policy – The office of drug policy oversees and coordinates all drug and substance abuse programs within the state of Idaho.
- Substance Abuse Prevention Needs Assessments – State, DHW Regions and County level statistical views of risk and protective factors related to substance abuse in Idaho.
- Idaho’s PATR – Prevention and Treatment Research – A collaborative system of substance-abuse related data using collection, analysis, and reporting that reflects substance abuse and its related consequences throughout Idaho.
- Substance Abuse Social Indicator data (University of Idaho) – Includes STDs, substance abuse and treatment, crime, census, housing and other data by Dept of Health & Welfare region.
- Idaho Vital Statistics – Includes state and county level reports on Idaho’s population, including race, sex, age, birth and death rates, causes of death, teen pregnancy rates, etc.
- Behavior Risk Surveillance Survey – Behavioral risk factor surveys provide state-specific estimates of the proportion of adults aged 18 and over reporting health risk behaviors.
- Youth Behavior Risk Survey – Monitors priority health risk behaviors in children and teens
- Idaho School Profiles – School District summaries for 1997 – 2006 school years. Information includes Average enrollment and attendance rates, ethnicity and gender, dropout rates, school lunch assistance participants and standardized testing results.
- Idaho Census – Population demographics, change and growth patterns, etc. County level and Hispanic-specific reports available.
- Idaho Department of Commerce – Socio-economic information on people, housing, the economy, education and social indicators, land ownership, natural resources, and agriculture at the county and city level (select cities).
- Idaho State Police Statistical Analysis Center – Many good resources on general crime in Idaho, with many reports and resources regarding Substance Abuse, some at county level; some with multi-year trends.
- OJJDP Juvenile Court Statistics: 1985-2010 – State and National estimates of the nearly 40 million delinquency cases processed by the nation’s juvenile courts between 1985 and 2010 from the national Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
- Idaho Transportation Department – Contains numerous stats on road and highway safety incidents. 1999 – 2003 data are available for trend analysis
Evidence-based Substance Abuse Prevention Programs
- National Registry of Evidence-based Programs & Practices – Check the “Substance Abuse Prevention” box under Areas of Interest for the current, state of the art list of evidence-based substance abuse prevention programs. Programs listed by NREPP receive funding priority by Benchmark Research & Safety, Inc. for use in Idaho.
Other Idaho substance abuse resources
- BeTheParent.Org – Produced by the Idaho Office of Drug Policy, the Be The Parents website is dedicated to reducing underage drinking in Idaho.
- Idaho Department of Health & Welfare Bureau of Substance Abuse Disorders – Extensive information on Idaho’s substance abuse prevention and treatment system.
- Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools – Numerous links about school-based substance abuse programs. Includes Safe and Drug Free Schools Year End Reports with many details on the Department of Education’s tobacco, substance abuse and violence prevention programs and activities.
- Idaho RADAR Network – The Idaho Regional Alcohol Drug Awareness Resource (RADAR) Network Center is an alcohol, tobacco, and other drug information clearinghouse and resource referral service. They are your connection to resources and other people in cities and towns across the nation who are working together to prevent alcohol and other drug problems.
Other national substance abuse resources
- CADCA – Large resource for community coalitions – funding opportunities, environmental activities, success stories, newsletter.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism – Contains easy-to-read material for the public covering a wide range of alcohol-related topics. Publications listed below are online full text and free of charge unless otherwise noted.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse – Very large resource of links to substance abuse, crime, disease, census and other substance abuse information