Massage therapy geared toward the aging population and their specific needs. Geriatric massage presents a challenge, because many of them have physical problems that complicate and interfere with diagnosis and treatment of any single illness. Diseases of one organ system place stress on other systems. Many older people also have nutritional deficiencies because of limited incomes, poor dental status, and other problems. The elderly also run increased risks of complications from surgery, and convalescence takes longer because damaged tissues recover more slowly. The longer periods of bed rest can also lead to pneumonia, bedsores, and circulatory disorders. Medications are metabolized more slowly, as well, and their effects are prolonged in the body. Massage can greatly assist and bring relief from the above listed problems and by preventing strokes, relief of joint pain, and remove toxins from lymphatic system that may otherwise increase disease.
- Daybreak Massage- Geriatric massage project
- Hospice Massage Massage Therapy Journal
- Massage for Elders Massage Therapy Journal
- Massage in Hospice Care Geriatric Massage By Dietrich W. Miesler, MA, CMT
- Growing Old with Massage In Facility Care By Dawn Nelson, C.M.T.
- Resolving Issues for Wheelchair-bound Clients Proper Positioning and Massage Work Eases Pain By Sharon Puszko Massage and Bodywork Magazine
- Oecubitus Ulcers Pathophysiology and the Role of Massage Therapists By Kalyani Premkumar Massage and Bodywork Magazine
- Stroke Rehab, Part 1 An Overview By Dietrich W. Miesler, MA, CMT Massage and Bodywork Magazine
- Stroke Rehab, Part 2 Coming Back By Dietrich W. Miesler, MA, CMT
- Stroke Rehab, Part 3 Getting to Work By Dietrich W. Miesler, MA, CMT
- Complementary Nursing Care Pursuing Alternatives in the Medical Field By Shirley Vanderbilt
- Massage for the Ill Hospice Care By Irene Smith
- Massage for Active Seniors(pdf)-Massage Therapy Journal
- Hospitals Embrace Massage (pdf) Massage Therapy Journal
- Fibromyalgia and the Elderly Finding Relief with Massage By Joyce A. Garland, RN, LMBT
- Comfort Touch Nurturing Acupressure Massage for the Elderly and the Ill
- By Mary Kathleen Rose Massage and Bodywork Magazine
- Dementia Care Reducing Behavioral Symptoms with Therapeutic Touch By Shirley Vanderbilt
- Emotional Health in Alzheimer’s Patients News Note By Lara Evans Bracciante
- Using Massage to Ease the Elderly’s Loneliness Lifespan: Hands to Hold By Karrie Osborn
- Massage Nerd – Geriatrics Section
- Massage Today – List of articles on Geriatric Massage
Developed by Ron Kurz in mid 1970’s. Hakomi means “How do you stand in relation to these many realms” in the Hopi Indian language. Body based psychotherapy to assist clients in accessing their core beliefs that influence their behaviors. Hakomi Integrative Somatics enables people to discover the habitual, automatic attitudes (both physical and psychological) that form the basis of their patterns of experience. Full training 1 1/2 years.
Body-Centered Psychotherapy- The Hakomi Method -Ron Kurz
Hakomi Integrative Somatics
Hawaiian/ Lomi- Lomi
Originated in the Hawaiian Islands, based on the traditions of the Polynesians and Pacific Islanders. Lomi-Lomi is one of the most beautiful forms of massage treatments as it looks more like a dance done by the practitioner. There are many forms of Lomi Lomi that originated with different families. When giving a massage you are supposedly massaging 5,000 years of ancestors. A session begins with a ritual asking the client what results they want from the session. The massage technique itself consists of graceful, sweeping arm movements and ceremonial music. The elbow and forearm are used along with fingertip shiatsu like pressure point work. Development of the practitioner is main focus using breath and acknowledgment of a Higher Power.
Auntie Margaret- Margaret Machado, RN., Hawaiian authority on Lomi-Lomi
Developed by Joseph Heller who was a student of Ida Rolf’s and the first president of the Rolf Institute in 1975. He was an aerospace engineer before getting into bodywork. He also studied bioenergetics and gestalt theories along with Aston-Patterning before he set off on his own. He devised an 11 session structural integration process combining it with voice dialogue techniques. Sections of the body are worked on as you talk about things relating to that area such as “how do you hold yourself back” when back work is being done.
Bodywise: by Joseph Heller ISBN: 0914728733
- Joseph Heller’s home page- founder of Hellerwork Hellerwork.com
- Voice Dialogue method – Hal and Sidra Stone’s site: developers of voice dialogue
Holistic method of stimulating the body’s life force based on Samuel Hahnemann’s Law of similar’s. Homeopathy means to treat with something that produces an effect similar to the suffering. Remedies are made with diluted mixtures of plant substances that when given full strength may cause the problem or imbalance. The higher the dilution the stronger the remedy. Symptoms are the attempts of the body to heal itself. Repressing them with drug therapy causes the root cause to remain. Homeopathy is not the same as Naturopathic Medicine. Naturopaths usually practice Homeopathy.
Healing with Homeopathy by Jennifer Jacobs, MD
Hot Stone Massage
river rocks heated and placed on the muscles. In my opinion very overpriced.
- LaStone Therapy – One of the first
- ThStone.com Stonemassage.com
They use of water as therapy. Water can be used in many ways and forms as a treatment method. Ice therapy, heat therapy, steam, baths, poultices are just a few of the ways. Can be done in a treatment or done by the client at home to continue healing.
Indian Head massage
There are two “schools” of Indian Head Massage – one is called champissage and the other is shiroabhyanga . (Shiro = head and mind, abhyanga = massage) You can find out more about it here: http://www.aiihm.org/
Indian Head Massage An Ancient Tradition For Modern Times By Kamala Thiagarajan: Massage Magazine
Massage that addresses the special needs of infant. Much research has been done to show that touch is very beneficial when done at an early age. It stimulates growth and is nurturing to the soul. Techniques can be done to stimulate digestion and calm an upset baby.
- International Loving Touch Foundation
- International Association of Infant Massage
- Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators
- Baby’s First Massage – classes to become a certified infant massage.
- tender touch, Infant massage can help strengthen the bond between baby and parents. By Clare La Plante
Eye analysis that detects warning signs of physical, mental and spiritual imbalances. Started by Hungarian physician, Ignatz Von Peezlvy and carried on by Bernard Jensen among others. The various patterns found in the iris correlate to different organs of the body. Used to detect weak organs, glands and tissues, lymphatic congestion, poor assimilation of nutrients.