Director of International Programs
Location: San Francisco, CA
Start date: immediate
Position Type: Full-Time
Architecture for Humanity is seeking a Director of International Programs to join our team. This is a unique and challenging opportunity for a leader in international development to work on the forefront of sustainable community development and green building. In this role, you will oversee our projects and programs in 16 countries, including our design fellowship program and disaster reconstruction programs.
The Director of International Programs reports to the Managing Director, oversees the work of Program Managers. The selected candidate will work closely with the entire management team and is responsible for streamlining processes, overseeing the timely recruiting and staffing of programs, ensuring the efficient use of staff time and funders resources and overseeing the implementation of our programs.
The candidate we seek will have ten year’s experience working with non-governmental organizations managing staffing resources, managing budgets, grant reporting, government contracting and field logistics. The ideal candidate will have a background in managing minor works construction projects, urban planning and economic development. An ability to implement systems in a fast-paced, fast-growing agency, a passion for making change in communities, and willingness to support innovation and collaboration across the shelter sector and beyond are essential.
Help us bring the power of design where it is needed most.
- Managing and updating program management tools and processes, continual improvement of systems and processes to ensure quality design and promote innovation
- Development of individual program budgets
- Overseeing the timely recruiting and staffing of programs and ensuring that skills and qualifications of design fellows and staff meet the needs of the program
- Management and tracking of program activities and deliverables across all programs to ensure the efficient delivery of services on time and in budget
- Manage and ensure that all program managers and staff receive appropriate security training and coordinate logistics on the ground to ensure the safety of staff, design fellows and volunteers. This includes following up on incident reports and tracking security alerts and updates in the areas in which we have active programs
- Work closely with the Program Managers, the Development Team and senior management to ensure clear, open and reliable communication with clients and partners, including sharing project deliverables and milestones with a broad range of stakeholders
- Oversee overall financial management of program funds, including planning, systems and controls in coordination with the Director of Finance. This includes creating clear payment schedules and tracking and verifying change orders
- Oversee the delivery of design services and work closely with the Design Director to ensure best practices in sustainable design and construction
- Invoicing to funding sources, including calculation of completed units of service and meeting all other reporting requirements
- Manage project close-out, including the performance of post-occupancy evaluations, the development of case studies and sharing lessons learned
The ideal candidate would have:
- Ten years international disaster reconstruction and/or development experience
- Five years experience in the shelter sector managing minor works construction or overseeing construction works
- MS in International Development, Construction Management, International Finance or equivalent experience
- Experience managing and reporting on complex multi-stakeholder programs
- Experience managing and reporting on government contracting
- Strong contacts within multi-lateral and government agencies including OFDA, USAID, World Bank, IDB and others
- Knowledge of government contract management
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status
- Budget development and oversight experience
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and experience motivating teams in pursuing critical projects or initiatives
- Experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices
Excels at operating in an fast pace, community environment
- Persuasive with details and facts
- Delegates responsibilities effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the organization
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Fluent written and spoken English; Multilingual language skills, preferred but not required.
- Passion for sustainable development and for transforming communities using the power of design
- Must have US work authorization
Salary is commensurate with experience. Architecture for Humanity offers a competitive salary and benefits and the opportunity to join a staff dedicated to harnessing the power of design to change lives.
Location: San Francisco, CA
Start date: Immediate
Architecture for Humanity is seeking a licensed professional to manage and oversee all aspects of its design initiatives and programs. The Program Manager reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for ensuring that all our clients benefit from innovative design. The position entails a unique mix of leadership, project management abilities and design experience. In addition to assisting clients in developing design programs ranging from architecture services, to creating design fellowships to establishing community design studios and responding to disaster, the position is responsible for developing and growing our network of designers willing to lend their time and talents to communities in need. Experience in both community design and professional practice as well as strong management and organizational skills are essential. The ideal candidate will be not only be inspired by good design but be able to inspire it in others.
- developing partnerships with community groups and other partners in the field
- recruiting pro bono design support
- matching clients with qualified design professionals
- establishing, monitoring and updating project budgets
- administering grants
- managing design fellowships
- monitoring and reviewing online project reports
- reviewing and approving monthly design stipends
- making site visits as necessary
- Candidate must be a degreed, licensed architect with minimum 8 years experience, including experience with low-income residential/community design.
- LEED accreditation, preferred
- Demonstrated project and team management experience is essential.
- Expert in Photoshop, ImageReady, InDesign, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, GoLive, etc.
- Familiarity with HTML and basic web skills, preferred
- Experience managing a firm and/or teaching experience, preferred
Salary is commensurate with experience. Architecture for Humanity offers a competitive salary and benefits and the opportunity to join a staff dedicated to using design to change lives.
Editorial Director, Online Platforms
Location: San Francisco
Start Date: Immediate
Position type: Full-Time
Architecture for Humanity is seeking an editorial director with both a strong building industry background and a strong digital background to lead the re-launch of its Open Architecture Network. In this role, you will be responsible for developing the editorial direction and strategy of the new site with the aim of making it an indispensable tool for sustainable development.
The Editorial Director reports to the Managing Director and will oversee the work of a staff of three. This will include developing featured content, overseeing competitions, managing volunteer contributors, editing/moderating posts, creating a “resource” forum and managing content tagging, search and data.
Working closely with the web development team, our program managers and our user community, you will work to develop content and improve the tools and user experience of the site. The Editorial Director, will also work closely with our development team and senior management to identify and develop revenue streams for the site through sponsorship, fee for service opportunities, advertising and other sources of income.
It’s a unique and exciting opportunity to build an online community that is not just sharing ideas and knowledge but putting sustainable development into practice around the world.
Key areas of focus:
- Positioning the re-launched site as an indispensable resource for sustainable development globally
- Growing traffic through improving the user experience, social media, SEO/SEI, and editorial partnerships with external sites
- Working closely with senior management and the development team to develop long-term, sustainable revenue streams for the re-launched site.
- Oversee all day-to-day editorial operations Set and manage overall editorial calendar
- Maintain editorial voice and content quality across all aspects of the online experience (social media, email updates, registration, etc.)
- Work with Development Team on revenue-generating opportunities
- Partner with external sites to set up link-trading and content sharing deals
- Manage editorial budget
- Source and manage editorial resources, including develop a robust international contributor base
- Source content from outside the Architecture for Humanity network that’s relevant to users
- Provide editorial leadership and work in collaboration with Program Managers, Partners, and senior management
- Arrange and run regular meetings; maintain consistent interdepartmental communication and editorial efficiencies across our network
- Improve site searchability (SEO/SEI)
- Ensure site accessibility (across bandwidths and language barriers)
- Gathering, analyzing and acting upon user feedback to improve the user experience
- Track and understand performance of editorial content based on traffic, audience engagement, social media metrics, and revenue
- Prioritizing site improvements and overseeing all other tasks to ensure a vibrant and thriving online community
- 8 to 10 years industry experience; 3-4 years demonstrated editorial management skills
- Degree in Architecture or equivalent building industry experience
- Experience building online community required; background in managing user-generated content preferred
- LEED accreditation, preferred
- Experience writing/editing for building industry audiences
- Broad knowledge-base sustainable design, including industrial design, architecture and international development
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks under tight daily and weekly deadlines
- Demonstrated success in developing an online audience and building a volunteer-based community
- Excellent editorial skills writing, editing, concepting
- Knowledge and experience with SEO best practices
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, HTML and a strong understanding of PHP-based CMS systems; familiarity with Drupal
- Significant contacts in the design and development community
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience. Architecture for Humanity offers a competitive salary and benefits and the opportunity to join a staff dedicated to harnassing the power of design to change lives.
Directeur, Planification et conception
Emplacement: Port-au-Prince, Haïti
Architecture for Humanity est à la recherche d’un directeur de la planification et de conception pour aider à l’établissement d’un «Rebuilding Center» à Port-au-Prince, en Haïti, pour soutenir le développement économique à long terme du pays. Nous recherchons un architecte senior et / ou un planificateur d’une expérience internationale dans la reconstruction post-catastrophe. Le candidat fournira un soutien de premier plan dans l’établissement de la structure du programme, les normes, les opérations et les objectifs de nos efforts de reconstruction en Haïti.
Ses responsabilités comprennent le soutien et la supervision des travaux de «Rebuilding Center,» et la visite des équipes de conception et des architectes locaux. Le candidat contribuera à faciliter des charrettes de conception communautaire pour assurer la participation communautaire à la prise de décisions, d’agir comme agent de liaison pour le compte du «Rebuilding Center» entre les clients, membres de la communauté et d’autres. Dans ce rôle, le candidat travaillera avec l’équipe sur le terrain, superviser des projets entrepris et fera en sorte que la planification, la conception et la construction est conscient de la culture haïtienne locale et que le résultat reflète les aspirations et les objectifs exprimés par les membres de la communauté. C’est une merveilleuse occasion d’apporter des compétences de conception et de gestion de la construction pour aider à la reconstruction.
Rôles et responsabilités:
Dans ce rôle, le candidat sera responsable de la planification et gestion de projets, planification et affectation des ressources, la mise en œuvre des contrôles de projets, l’administration des contrats, contribuant à élever la conception et des normes de construction, et d’assurer la sécurité du personnel sur le terrain. Cela comprend l’élaboration des systèmes et processus pour assurer le contrôle de la qualité et la bonne exécution des projets.
- Assurer la liaison, gérer et hiérarchiser les besoins des groupes communautaires locaux dans le besoin de services de conception.
- Faciliter les processus de conception et des engagements, à base communautaire, tout en étant conscient des grands processus de planification dirigé par le gouvernement.
- Assurer la liaison avec le personnel de Architecture for Humanity, basé à San Francisco et soutenir les initiatives de conception dans la région.
- Coordonner les activités des professionnels qui travaillent dans la région et les affecter à des projets qui correspondent à leurs compétences.
- Gerer la dotation du projet et l’allocation des ressources.
- Établir des protocoles et des directives pour fournir un environnement de travail sécuritaire pour les bénévoles sur et hors du lieu de travail.
- Assurer la conformité aux exigences de déclaration et les obligations contractuelles assumées par le «Rebuilding Center» pour le compte des clients.
- Aider à la surveillance du budget et à la satisfaction des contrôles des frais du programme.
- Surveiller les progrès du projet pour assurer que le projet répond aux objectifs des parties prenantes en termes de portée, de budget et de qualité.
- Assurer les meilleures pratiques, faciliter l’échange de connaissances en conception et l’expertise et inspirer l’innovation.
- Représenter les intérêts du «Rebuilding Center» dans le développement de possibilités de programmes supplémentaires.
- Maintenir la gestion des documents, le suivi de projet et assurer l’affichage des documents de projet sur le «Open Architecture Network»
- Élaborer des lignes directrices et des mesures de sûreté et la sécurité du site de surveillance pour les boursiers de conception et des bénévoles dans le domaine, y compris répondre aux urgences de santé et de sécurité rapidement et efficacement à mesure qu’elles surviennent.
- Superviser des manuels de projet chargé et les lignes directrices pour aider à relever les normes de conception et de construction et de partager les leçons apprises.
- Autres fonctions et tâches requises pour le résultat effectif de la conception de l’organisation et des programmes de construction et des projets.
- Master’s Degree en architecture
- Minimum de 10 à 15 ans d’expérience dans la conception et la construction
- Bonne connaissance du design international et les normes de construction
- Parler couramment le français, créole, et anglais
- Autocad, Suite Adobe, Microsoft Office
- La connaissance profonde de la gestion de la construction et les systèmes, processus et outils de gestion des contrats
- Capacité à effectuer plusieurs tâches, savoir porter une attention particulière aux détails
- Aptitude à diriger et motiver le personnel
- Rémunération: le salaire est en rapport avec les compétences et l’expérience.
Construction Manager, Haiti
Location: Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Start date: November 2010
The Rebuilding Center is seeking an experienced construction manager for its building program in Port au Prince, Haiti. Candidate will be responsible for executive level oversight of The Rebuilding Center’s Construction program and will report directly the Regional Program Manager. Candidate will be responsible for recruiting and training a core team of Job Foremen and Job Captains to execute site supervision. Candidate will also work with the Regional Program Manager and other senior staff to review and award bids.
Candidate should have a minimum of 10 years of experience in Construction & Construction Management, including at least 5 years on-the-site experience in either the trades or on-site supervision.
Scope of Work
The Construction Manager will:
- Identify qualified contractors and sub-contractors
- Coordinate and make site visits on a regular basis to ensure quality of construction and meet construction deadlines
- Establish and maintain contract records and ensures compliance with contractual terms and conditions
- Interpret contract provisions to help resolve claims and questions submitted by contractors
- Receive requests, obtain estimates, update records, initiate paperwork and follow up on request for approval of work and processes and obtains approval of contract changes
- Monitor compliance to contract requirements ensuring all conditions are satisfied before approval of the final invoice
- Learn, understand and implement local regulations and bye-laws as required
- Work with the design team and volunteers at the Rebuilding Center in Port-au-Prince
Experience and skills
Ideal candidate would have specific experience in the following areas:
- Risk Analysis
- Experience in Seismic construction
- Developing and implementing reporting metrics
- Construction & Trade training
- Vetting general contractors for the execution of the work
- Bid & tender processes
- Managing on-going contracts on an IDIQ basis
- Developing Schedules of payments, and approving work per schedule
- Knowledge of French and/or Haitian Creole a plus
Commitment: The Construction Manager will live and work in Port-au-Prince, Haiti for a minimum of 2 years
Compensation: Salary commensurate with skills and experience.